16 October 2011

Feeling Connected

On the other side of these walls is a brilliant day. Dappled sunlight dancing on concrete, playing along the edges of shadows cast by moonflower and morning glory vines, mesmerizing through wavering glass. And today, the luscious feeling of connection. I love the way it sneaks up unaware before immersion. I love the way I don't know if I want to laugh or cry when it hits me. I love the way it makes me recognize a particular moment of being alive.

First, the article from The Guardian. Second, a piece that took ten years to put to bed. Third, exit stage right, grinning into the light.



Good Sunday readControversial Photo

"As an image of a cataclysmic historical moment it captures something that is true of all historical moments: life does not stop dead because a battle or an act of terror is happening nearby. Artists and writers have told this truth down the ages. In his painting The Fall of Icarus, the Renaissance painter Pieter Bruegel depicts a peasant ploughing on as a boy falls to his death in the sea beyond: it is a very similar observation to Hoepker's. WH Auden's lines on this painting in his poem Musée des Beaux Arts apply perfectly to the photograph: "In Breughel's Icarus, for instance: how everything turns away / Quite leisurely from the disaster …"



A Boy Falling Out of the Sky 

I can not write this piece. Glass is all
I see. A piece just shattered that falls
sparkles, twists bright light diamond like. Blood
is all I can hear. My heart beats quick
out loud and my son is at my feet.
He shall not have this sight of figures
falling, I will not let that happen.
My fingers move across his soft hair
and lift eyes to mine. Impossible
to imagine him not here today.
After breakfast when his father calls

time for daily lessons, Icarus
works equations until the king’s men
enter their home, forces eyes to move
away from the sight of all ever
known. He follows behind his father
into the heart of the labyrinth.
A feather riding on a twisted
current caught beneath it floats down safe
while still a sound, lingering longer
within the waves, that I can not name.
It is unnatural. It is man made.

I lose my sense within the image
hands can not cover eyes and ears, except
as I pretend my arms protect him.
That morning when no one could believe
the picture true there were those in there:
who’s hands had softly brushed aside hair
and placed warm lips upon small forehead:
who’s voice had moved quick to catch lost time
cried an over the shoulder good bye:
who had sang with the radio who
had quarreled with a lover or who

had made love or who had forgotten
to brush teeth or who had felt the sun:
none that could imagine time would end.
Can horror be contained? I try. Wrap
words around images like mother
of pearl trying to embrace moments
to give them meaning. I can not write
this piece can not contain this mourning.
Still, the alarm goes off to announce
another day beginning again

for us.



Colleen C. Fitzgerald


This piece is a desperate attempt to find solace within history and art from a decade of unrelenting sorrow. Eternal gratitude to those timely companions, W.H. Auden’s, Musee de Beaux Arts, and Brueghel’s, The Fall of Icarus. The staggering of stanzas is to represent columns built of nine beats and eleven lines. While writing, I also kept imagining the colons as a high arial view upon the standing towers. Horror cannot be contained and I cannot protect my children, but I can beat words through meter and form. I can hope for the best and work through the rest of it.

August 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment

we see what we want what we will